Friday, March 31, 2017

Alaska Skies Review

Hooray!! After the not so great book I finished the other day, I am back with one I loved. Alaska Skies by Debbie Macomber is made up of the first two books in the Midnight Sons Series, Brides for Brothers and The Marriage Risk. It was exactly what I needed as a #comfortread to get me back on track. I always fly through her books and get sucked in by the characters.


In Brides for Brothers we meet Sawyer who owns a bush-plane charted service with his two brothers in a teeny tiny town north of the Arctic Circle. The town is full of men and in serious need of women. So in need that many of his pilots have threatened to leave town if women didn't start showing up. Now I swear I have read that somewhere before but I didn't recognize anything else from the story.

So the men come up with a plan that Sawyer is not fond of, put out ads in the paper in larger cities inviting women to come work and receive free land after making it a year. 

Abbey lives in Seattle with her two children and things aren't looking great. Her rent is going up and she is losing her job. She sees an ad in the paper for a librarian position and decides it is exactly what she needs. Plus the promise of free housing and and after a year will give her children the stability she wants. Only she forgets to mention her children.

I won't give it all away because it was such a fun read. But as you can imagine things aren't exactly what they seem when she arrives and with two children in tow Sawyer tries to get rid of her. I'm sure with the aspect of being a single mom, and Sawyer's issues from his parents marriage, this was supposed to hit some serious notes. But to me it was just sweet and their story was comical.

In that first story we learned about a woman named Catherine and her feud with Sawyer's family. So in the second story, The Marriage Risk, when Catherine's granddaughter Lanni shows up to clean out her grandmother's house, you know trouble is on the horizon. 

 Charles, Sawyer's brother has hated the idea of bringing women to town from the beginning. It also has to do with his parents and his disgust for marriage in general. But he is immediately attracted to Lanni. And the next thing you know they are both in love with each other. Seriously. This was the only part of the story I didn't really care for. I understand their's was more of a story about past issues that falling in love, but give a girl a little build up!

When Charles finally finds out who Lanni is he of course can't be with her. His mother gets involved. Her brother gets involved. Honestly, it was a little anticlimactic. I did really enjoy the read though and look forward to the next story. I think it will be about Lanni's brother?? Not sure. But we learned a lot about him so I wouldn't be surprised.

As always, Macomber knows how to tell a good love story in a way I don't feel other authors do. I love a great sexy adult book. But sometimes it's just so nice to read a clean romance that still has family at the heart of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment